Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Cornersmith - Marrickville

On a sunny weekend morning, I just feel like stepping out of my abode and venture into a suburb with a great cafe scene. I don't want this suburb to be Surry Hills as I've been here loads of time. The feeling of discovering something new and something that has a positive vibe to it, is undeniably very satisfying.



Last Sunday, I discovered one such gem of a place. Located in one corner of the bustling shopping zone in Marrickville, Cornersmith is a cute, cosy and compact cafe. The queue outside was enough to attract my attention and once I was in, I couldn't wait to taste the delicacies. The first look at the menu suggests this place is a brekkie lovers paradise.



The warm and hospitable staff makes us feel comfortable and serve us hot, refreshing and soothing coffees even while we are waiting. The artistry on the coffee brings a big smile on my face.




The breakfast I ordered included poached Archerfield eggs with white sourdough toast and spiced eggplant chutney. The eggs were soft, perfectly poached and the vibrant yellow was visible in the runny yokes. The chutney was smoked and had a zesty tang to it. It was accompanied by a salad that included red cabbage draped in pickled corn slaw with green tomato and chilli vinaigrette. The salad was refreshing, restorative and the sourness of the vinegar dressing was highlighted in the dish.




Cornersmith also has a decent selection of sandwiches. The smoked turkey sandwich with house made ricotta, zucchini, pickle and chilli relish was light yet filling and had some great flavours. The bread was crunchy and toasted and added a nice texture to the sandwich.



To satisfy my cravings for sugar I ordered the whey caramel milkshake. Served in a cute tiny little glass bottle, it was sweet and yummy enough to taste healthy.



In addition, to finally round up the great flavours I had tasted so far, was the heart shaped rosemary roasted grapes layered over a ricotta base and topped with fennel infused honey on white sourdough. Divine.



Do try their locally made range of pickles, jams and condiments.



A great experience to kick off your Sunday morning!!

Cornersmith Cafe

314 Illawarra Road
Marrickville NSW 2204

Tel No: +61 2 8065 0844



Cornersmith on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keen to hear your views!!